5 Monumental Truths To Remember During Hard Times

The dictionary defines basic as “an essential foundation” or a “starting point”. With that said, I will share five basic truths to remember when things go wrong:

1. God loves you.

In Ephesians, Paul prays that the recipients of his letter may “have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God” (Ephesians 3:18-19).

2. Christ’s death and resurrection secure your salvation.

When Jesus said “it is finished” (John 19:30), he used the Greek word teleo, which was commonly written over certificates of debt once they were fully paid. It means “nothing more is owed; there is no more debt to be paid.” It’s not that Christ took on 99% of our sin and guilt and we must carry the other 1%. It’s that He took it all on.

3. God is always with you.

Joshua 1:9 offers this encouragement: “The Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

Jesus promised His disciples, “I am with you always” (Matthew 28:20).

The stories of prisoners such as Corrie ten Boom reveal that they survived imprisonment and torture because God’s supernatural indwelling presence was their lifeline.

“God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you’” (Hebrews 13:5).

4. God is in control of the details of your life.

“Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O Lord, and you are exalted as head above all. Both riches and honor come from you, and you rule over all. In your hand are power and might, and in your hand it is to make great and to give strength to all” (1 Chronicles 29:11-12).

God pays a great deal of attention to the “little things.” He numbers the hairs on our heads and cares for the lilies of the field. Jesus said, “Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows” (Matthew 10:29-31).

Our fates do not rest in the hands of fallen humankind: politicians, lawyers, military officers, employers, or even spouses and children. No matter what happens, and how much it hurts, God is fully capable of using painful events for good.

5. Eternal life with God awaits you.

“You have endowed him with eternal blessings and given him the joy of your presence” (Psalm 21:6).

“And the ransomed of the LORD shall return and come to Zion with singing; everlasting joy shall be upon their heads; they shall obtain gladness and joy, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away” (Isaiah 51:11).

Jonathan Edwards wrote, “After they have had the pleasure of beholding the face of God millions of ages, it will not grow a dull story; the relish of this delight will be as exquisite as ever.”

For more encouragement, click