5 Simple Steps to Getting Unstuck
As Mandy Hale said, "Change is painful. But nothing is as painful as staying stuck somewhere you don’t belong."
When we are stuck, we often wait for external circumstances to change. But that usually does not happen. Getting unstuck requires you to take action.
These steps will help you get unstuck:
1. Identify an area of your life in which you are "Stuck", e.g. physical health, career, relationship, habits, etc.
2. What pain are you experiencing as a result of being stuck? Check all that apply. Add to the list.
- Low self-esteem
3. What pleasure would you experience as a result of getting unstuck? Complete all that apply. Feel free to add to the list.
"I would experience improved _______________________________________."
"I would experience better __________________________________________."
"I would experience increased_______________________________________."
"I would experience reduced________________________________________ ."
4. Set a goal for achieving the pleasure you stated in Step 3.
The goal must be:
S - Specific: The goal should be precise, rather than vague. Example: "Lose 25 pounds", rather than "Get into better physical condition."
M - Measurable: How will you measure success? This helps you see your progress and determine if you are moving in the right direction. Example: When the scale says I weigh 25 pounds less than I do today.
A - Achievable: The goal should challenge you, but you must believe that you can achieve it.
R - Relevant: The goal must be relevant to the specific area of your life in which you are stuck.
T - Time Definite: Set a specific date by which you expect to have achieved the goal. This adds an element of urgency and motivation. Example: October 31, 2019.
5. Develop a plan of action for achieving your goal.
Action you will take Date by which you will haven take action
Join health spa 7/19/19
Hire a fitness coach 7/22/19
Remove all junk foods from house 7/8/19
Consult with a dietitian 7/29/19
For more inspiration, click